I couldn't help but to notice that for many of you, 2016 was not your best year. From a societal point of view I must say I can see your argument. Between the many lives we've lost, political upsets and taking personal hits in your own journey, I can honestly see why you're ready for 2016 to be over. But in this moment, take a minute to reflect. Did you get at least one win this year?
From the start, 2016 was quite rocky for me. Right in the beginning of the year not only did I have financial problems, but also transportation problems. Ugh, I can still remember being extremely pissed that my car engine went out costing me a good $2000 to repair. Not only that, I found myself questioning my skill set as a therapist when I entered an extremely challenging position at my job. This ultimately led to me questioning my life's purpose as a whole. And as a result of that, the stress from it all caused my hair to fall out! Not the best way to start the new year off at all…
But did you notice how the enemy can start off using one element of frustration and turn it into a complete self-complex as a means to make you forget just how blessed you really are?
When I think about it from this reflective state, I was blessed that I even had the money available to get my car fix. I was blessed that I was able to help each and every client that came into my office to the best of my abilities and was told by them that they appreciated my support. I was blessed that God allowed me to have my human moments and not hold that against me when He was handing out His infinite gifts of grace & mercy... And thankfully, my hair game is coming back strong, slowly but surely lol! I am still a child of God blessed and highly favored!
You see, it's all a matter of perspective…
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
I bet that if you take a deeper look into everything 2016 has taught and/or brought you can find a few more wins under your belt.
Here are the wins I'm CHOOSING to celebrate this year:
• Turning 30 years old and having a banging party to celebrate #MzLadyTurns30
• Hosting my first Because You're Worth It Women's Conference
• HeyMzLady.com's new website
• Making an abundant amount of new friends in both personal and professional realms
• God's GRACE and MERCY in paying off my $20k debt
• Seeing just how resilient, confident and bad ass I am when I put my heart & soul into things I'm passionate about
• Seeing a women come so close to becoming the President of the United States (not going to lie this one still hurts)
• Going to both New Orleans and seeing a Beyoncé concert for the first time! #BeignetsAndBeyoncé
• Building a stronger bond with loved ones, friends included!
• Stepping out on faith with new business ventures coming into 2017
• Seeing my friends excel like never before in their careers and personal lives #BlackGirlMagic
• Actually committing myself to this 31 days of blogging (It's rough but worth it lol)
• Discovering my self-worth to another level (Thank you Beyoncé and Solange for letting me have a Seat at the Table with an amazing glass of Lemonade!)
• Deepening my TRUST in God
• And pushing myself to see the glass half full versus half empty
I'm pretty sure I can add on more to my list of wins, but I think you get the point. My wins clearly outweigh my moments of madness and despair. Everything 2016 has taught me or allowed me to face, only prepares me even more for everything 2017 has in store for me.
So do me a favor. As you are tempted to tell 2016 to kick rocks, take the time to thank her for every good thing she has brought you as well. You may have gained a lot more than you think...